Sunday, June 6, 2010

Jof vs. Old Man

I feel like I'm Thugnificent vs. Granddad in an episode of Boodocks. I was helping this old man look for acrylic paints for a project he was doing. He wanted to paint a photo of his granddaughter but he hasn't painted in a while so he was asking me for tips. I told him I don't paint traditionally any more, all the painting I do I use a computer. Then this old douche says "oh you do the easy stuff". You just said the wrong thing to me old man. I wished I was on a horse so I could've strung him up and dragged his ass all over Milpitas... good thing I'm not a sociopath or there would've been some violence. You can tell me my art sucks or you don't like it that's ok with me... I'll just tell you that you have poor taste in art or that you're an idiot hahaha. But to tell me that it's easy or fake just because I use a computer to produce it.... RRAAAAARRRR JOF SMASH!!!!! Anyway... eat a 8==D oldman.

7 comments:

  1. ... yup, tell that old curmudgeon to eat a d*ck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, i was tempted to diss his grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the 'way' of the Fine Art world is to look down on work not created with traditional media. As if the computer does it without an artist attached.

    Won't be long before that general idea goes away. Either an Artist can create a work of Art, or not. The tool used to accomplish a finished piece is just the means to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kraig has a point... still its more efficient not easy. C'mon Kraig that old man is Cap a man out of time and can't get with technology... I wished i told him after he told me I do the easy stuff "yeah like your granddaughter when she turns 12"... brain no work when angry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kraig is right, in that working digitally has inherent conveniences over working traditionally: ctrl-z, proportion correction, liquify, and a whole host of other tools that make life easier for the artist. These conveniences are why I'm making haste to produce my own artwork in the digital domain. The rub is can you maintain the same line/brush qualities of traditional method, I hope to find out soon.

    Where the slight comes in, is if Old dude doesn't look at you as a artist... like Josh stated. Is James Jean any less of a artist cause he utilizes Photoshop in his final process? No. On top of that you're not going to be able to emulate Jean's creativity just from using a computer. Joff, I'd take the old dude's slight as a grain of salt, let him know there is no problem with working smarter... and if his principled @ss stretched his own canvas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that going digital makes creating art easier that's my I do it. It's just a tool. What got to me was the old dude was kinda dismissive after I told him I use computers, he carried himself like he was much more of a "real" artist because he uses real paints.

    Looking back the whole thing was kinda funny. Shit he came to me for help because he had no idea what he was going to do and he hasn't painted in a while. He was kinda relieved that he felt like he was talking to someone that knows shit. Then the disappointment after my revelation that I do art with a computer. I think he was just lashing out at me for getting his hopes up hahaha. My bad old man it's my fault.

    ReplyDelete